There are only two sackings in the history of Chelsea FC that I have disagreed with. The first was The Special one, next was Chelsea legend Ray Wilkins. Today, the sacking of Bobby Di Mateo makes it a hat trick for me. The Champion’s League trophy was always the utopia he craved but even that proved not to be enough to save Roberto Di Mateo.
Chelsea Football Club has parted company this morning with Manager Roberto Di Matteo.
The team’s recent performances and results have not been good enough and the owner and the Board felt that a change was necessary now to keep the club moving in the right direction as we head into a vitally important part of the season.
The club faces a difficult task ahead in qualifying for the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as well as maintaining a strong challenge for the top of the Premier League while competing in three other cup competitions. Our aim is to remain as competitive as possible and challenge strongly on all fronts.
The owner and the Board would like to thank Roberto for all he has done for the club since taking over in March. Roberto helped guide us to an historic Champions League victory and a seventh FA Cup. We will never forget the huge contribution he has made to this club’s history and he will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge.
The club will be making an announcement shortly regarding a new first team manager.
Now most sports fans around the world will only be mildly surprised. It is an open secret that the most impatient man on planet earth is Roman Abrahamovich. The man has no place for excuses or what he imagines is mediocre. First he wanted to win EPL trophies but even after Mourinho brought in the silverware, it proved not to be enough. Roman wanted to win the champions league and when that proved elusive the special one was let go of. Other managers have come in to win trophies but even when they did, it wasn’t enough as Roman wanted to win with flair.
Shevy, Hazard, Torres, Vilas Boas can testify to he is generosity oh his quest to land an acquisition. No amount has ever been too much when he sets his sights on an object.
Now as a Chelsea fan, you have to love Abrahamovich despite all his quirks and madness. He has elevated us from a mediocre, mid-level team to a short EPL domination, FA and Carling/Capital Cups in excess and eventually the Kings Of Europe in 2012. And he does all this WITH HIS MONEY…who can complain about that honestly?
The reason why we will continue to indulge him is because he is a bigger fan than all of us are: and he is not afraid to make Chelsea the best team in the world no matter what it takes.
I am a die hard Roberto fan as he has given us a lot as a player and as a manager. I wish him the best of luck with his hefty severance package and winner’s medals.
- Chelsea has had 8 coaches in Abrahamovich’s 10years at Chelsea: Ranieri, Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo
- Di Matteo lasted 262 days. AVB 257 days. Scolari 244 days
- AVB managed 40 games, Di Matteo just 42
- Di Matteo won 6 more games than AVB, lost 1 less and won 2 major trophies
- Chelsea has 10 points more than from the same fixtures last season
- Abramovich has sacked managers who have won Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Intercontinental Cup, World Cup and Champion’s League.
- According to stats, Ray Wilkins is the most successful Chelsea manager under Roman, followed by Hiddink, Grant, Mourinho, Scolari, Anchelotti, Di Mateo, Ranieri then Vilas Boas.
- According to cups won under Roman, Di Mateo (1CL, 1FA in 42 matches) is the most successful followed by Mourinho (2 EPL, 2 FA Cups, 1 Carling Cup, 1 Community Shield in 185 matches), Anchelotti (1 FA Cup, 1 EPL, 1 Community Shield in 109 matches), Hiddink (1 FA Cup in 22 matches)
I am now taking bets on who will be the next Chelsea manager. Please leave your predictions on the comment section