by Azeenarh Mohammed (@xeenarh)
(Closeted optimist, provocative writer)
For every view, every comment, every name, phone number and location sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, all i can say is that I am humbled and grateful for your patriotism, hope and support but the real work only starts now. WHY MUST PROTEST
As i write this, it is 3am Wednesday 4th of January 2012 and are two days away from a nationwide protest. Are we ready yet? Far from it! But do not despair. We have not panicked and rioted as they expected and wanted us to. Instead, we have remained resolute in our beliefs and our resolve has grown stronger by the minute.
The nation wide protest still proceeds as planned on Friday 6th January 2012 uniformly at 10am. As usual we will broadcast, retweet, post on our facebook pages, email the links to our contacts, and keep each other informed. For every single person aware of this protest and its goals, there are millions of people on the street who are still uninformed. This is our job today; involve the people on the streets. Instead of using energy staging mini protests, we will engage, educate, mobilise, inform and prepare. These are things we need to do before today:
“THE MASSES ARE THE DECISIVE ELEMENT. THEY ARE THE ROCK ON WHICH THE FINAL VICTORY OF THE REVOLUTION WILL BE BUILT” – ROSA LUXEMBURG
- Print out the attached document.
- Photocopy as many copies as you can afford
- Mobilise your group of friends, family, acquaintances, colleagues, and share copies with them
- Encourage everyone to photocopy more copies. (Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people can transform the world. Howard Zinn)
- Distribute them at homes, offices, banks, filling stations, hospitals, schools, the market, the roadside, bus stations, car parks, stop signs, restaurants, super markets, parks, and EVERY SINGLE PLACE you can think of!
- Engage the people in conversations and dialogue. Listen to their views and most importantly prepare and educate them.
- Until every bike man, every taxi man, every trader, every teacher, every mai-ruwa, every mechanic, every househelp, every newspaperman, every tomato seller, every civil servant, every student, every business man, EVERY NIGERIAN is holding this paper and is willing to march at 10am friday, we will not stop. We have nothing to loose but our chains and nothing to gain but our livelihood!
- Reach out, stand out, come rain, come shine, we shall be in every nook and cranny of Nigeria to prepare them for 10am Friday.
- Please remember to be orderly, peaceful, and productive. A single more life is too valuable to loose. A single more bruise too harsh to endure.
- “One of the symtoms of a resolution is the sudden increase in the number of ordinary people who take an active interest in politics” – Lenin.
I will be on the streets of Abuja as early as i can to distribute with you. I will also be tweeting my location via #occupynigeriaStep1 so that people residing in Abuja can free to join me when they can.
Finally, I wish to send you off with on of the greatest lyrics from one of the most famous musicians ever to have lived.
“Get up. Stand up, stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up. Dont give up the fight!” – Bob Marley
May God be with us all!